A RELIGIOUS sect has declared itself above Australian law and the constitution.
Members of the Kingdom of Yahweh, based in Melbourne's northern suburbs, refuse to register their vehicles, get a driver's licence or register guns.
They even manufacture their own number plates.
Victoria Police Inspector Ewan McDonald said there was a "relatively small number of people who have this peculiar view".
"They don't regard themselves subject to the laws of the state of Victoria . . . they're quite openly frank about their point of view," Insp McDonald said.
"We treat them as any other ordinary member of the public."
Insp McDonald dismissed claims members booby-trapped their number plates, but did say the plates were dangerous because they were poorly made with very sharp edges.
He said it was important to remember the group did not preach violence, did not plan to overthrow the Government and was not associated with any terrorist organisation.
"They act in their own interesting view of the world, they actually regard themselves as quite law abiding, it's just that they don't accept the sovereignty of the Parliament as you or I would," he said.
"People who express these interests and feelings have been coming to police attention for a long time, they've just proceeded as ordinary members of the public."
Facts about the Kingdom of Yahweh:
* Followers of Yahweh are disparate and not involved in one international group. In the US there are many different groups, some calling themselves either the Kingdom of Yahweh or House of Yahweh.
* It is not known when the Kingdom of Yahweh began in Australia.
Followers of Yahweh's Kingdom believe:
- Yahweh (also spelt Yahuah) is the true name of God.
- They are the keepers of the Ten Commandments and Yahweh's laws are "written on our hearts and minds".
- Yahweh's laws are more demanding than any man-made government laws, and his punishments and rewards far greater.
- They are subject only to Yahweh's holy government.
- The new world order represents all that is unholy unto Yahweh.
- Governments were made by man's hands and should therefore be opposed.
- If you carry a government identification card, it is prima-facie evidence you are a corporation and subject to the government.
- You cannot serve two masters - Yahweh and the government.
Kingdom of Yahweh, The Herald Sun 38 Comments
[11/14/2008 3:42:03 PM]
Fundie Index: 3
Submitted By: Grimesy