1 2 3 4 5
The reason I usually have a problem with fundamentalist Christians is that they have a tendency to act like they're better than everybody else and look down on others. Either that or they shamelessly pester and annoy everyone else into joining their religion, and if somebody refuses, they spend all their time harassing them about how they're going to hell. Otherwise, I really couldn't care whether you like to party or not.
2/22/2009 3:04:48 AM
They notice that we don't do many of the things they do, like go to parties and get drunk, steal from our neighbors, have promiscuous sex, and cheat on our significant others.
Yet we live in a fucked up world where the largest religion is Christianity. Also, if Christians don't do these things, you need a savior WHY?
2/22/2009 3:07:01 AM
Probably because you try to shove religion down their throats.
I believe in god, get drunk and party, you don't have to be atheist to do that, you just have to be sensible enough to believe that God probably wants us to live when we're alive.
2/22/2009 3:08:44 AM
"They notice that we don't do many of the things they do, like go to parties and get drunk, steal from our neighbors, have promiscuous sex, and cheat on our significant others"
2/22/2009 3:10:17 AM
Which is why my uncle, the pastor, has been married three times and they all ended due to infidelity on his part. *eyeroll*
2/22/2009 3:10:38 AM
So you don't have fun? And I should feel bad about having fun because...? If anything, I pity you for leading such an unfulfilling life. How boring it must be!
2/22/2009 3:12:00 AM
Your "righteousness" is better described as "self-righteousness". That why we can't stand Christian fundamentalists. (or any other religious fundamentalist for that matter)
2/22/2009 3:13:01 AM
na, you guys do all that including gay sex, child molestation and murder, that's one of the reasons we don't like you, because many of you guys do all this stuff and jump on the moral high horse. You christians are supposed to be so much better, but still fall far below us. That and you ram your religious ideals down everyone's throat
2/22/2009 3:21:29 AM
1. I'm atheist.
2. I was at a party with an open bar tonight, and I had Pepsi. This party occurs every year and I do not drink. Other parties with the same conditions, I do not drink. I just don't drink (no desire, plus alcoholism runs in the family and I don't need that on top of everything else).
3. I do not steal. I know what is mine, I know what belongs to others. I wouldn't like it people stole from me, why would others like it if I stole from them?
4. I'm still a virgin (many reasons), therefore I obviously do not have promiscuous sex. I wouldn't want to either, my mind just doesn't work that way.
5. I do not cheat. Again, my mind just does not work that way. Besides, being cheated on fucking hurts. Why would I want to hurt someone like that? (Actually, why would I want to hurt someone at all? I freak out if I can't tell if someone is taking my teasing the intended way. . . .)
6. You imply that Christians do not do those things. Yes, you preach those things, and some of your number stand outside screaming, condemning the rest of us to hell if we don't repent from those things (regardless of whether we've actually done them), but Christians do those things too. PEOPLE do these things, because modern human nature evolved from a situation in which all of these things could be beneficial to survival and reproductive success.
7. I do not feel like I'm being scolded.
8. Your accusations do not make me feel bad about myself.
9. Your "light" makes me uncomfortable, yes, but it's because you're always forcing it to shine on me and it gives me a sunburn from the hypocrisy and hate.
2/22/2009 3:22:36 AM
Rat of Steel
"(...) and it makes them uncomfortable, like walking into a well lit room after being in the dark for a long time."
Actually, you've got it backwards. It's you fundies who want to keep everyone in the dark. After all, doesn't the name Lucifer mean "light bearer"?
Okay, okay. I'm feeling slightly magnanimous this evening, so I'll give you another answer, one that's more in the spirit of your post. A better analogy would be you repeatedly shining a large flashlight directly into our eyes while....
* not understanding that we actually can see just fine without it;
* not grasping the concept that a bright light shone directly into one's eyes does more harm than good;
* thinking we don't really mean what we say when we politely ask you to point your flashlight elsewhere (see points 1 and 2);
* not understanding that it won't make any difference if we sit and hear you ramble on about how a flashlight shining into your eyes changed your life for the better and it'd do the same for us if we only allowed it to hit our eyes for a little longer, perhaps from a different angle than we're used to (see point 3); and finally...
* not grasping the concept that, even if the company that manufactured your flashlight printed explicit instructions for its user to go out and shine it in other people's faces, you following those instructions is still unacceptably irritating, and does NOT, in fact, deserve immunity from criticism simply because the flashlight manufacturer says it's okay.
2/22/2009 3:24:03 AM
Oh, *please*. I went to a sports bar where I am allowed to drink for free this afternoon (I redecorated it), and only had two drinks, and I'm Pagan. And I don't do the other things you accuse me of, either. But the fact that you accuse us of doing really vile things and treat our pleasures that don't harm anyone like they're horrible, well, that's what pisses us Pagans and atheists off.
That and the way those of you who carry on like you're God's special favorites so often tend to get caught stealing, cheating, etc.
2/22/2009 3:25:48 AM
People don't like you because you are a pompous ass.
2/22/2009 3:28:43 AM
The reason why people don't like fundamentalist Christians is because you're presumptuous dicks.
2/22/2009 3:34:09 AM
Bullshit, the gossipy judgemental fundy families that I know of, all have lots of "interesting" members. The crowd that one of my family members is involved in, is rife with teenage pregnancy problems and also brilliant, closeted musicians who are absolutely insane (cutting their instruments up with chainsaws, etc). And they get a new pastor like every other year when the current one runs off with one of the congregation's wives. I know another gossipy family who sits down in their living room and runs down everyone else, but they have all those same problems in their own family members. And right now I live next to a near-fundy whose daughter, also involved in church stuff, was going to move out of town, because it came out that she was carrying on an affair with a man twice her age (maximum tut tut), and her kids were getting made fun of at the christian private schools they went to. I laughed to myself, thinking, I'm sure those kids would know all about her improprieties because their parents would be gossiping about it. <nelson voice>"Ha ha! Your mother's an adulteress!"</> I was not particularly sympathetic because as far as I am concerned, if you have to hang out with gossipy judgmental people then you better keep your own nose clean.
2/22/2009 3:36:39 AM
Is this why atheists, pagans, etc don't like us Christians?
No, not all Christians, just fundie ones.
They look at us, and see how we are. They notice that we don't do many of the things they do,
Like the local fundie group who comes to my street corner to shout through bullhorns at people.
No, I can truthfully say I've never done that.
like go to parties and get drunk,
When l was younger, but I'm sort of wallflowery now.
steal from our neighbors,
have promiscuous sex,
Maybe a little, see wallflower answer above.
and cheat on our significant others.
This makes them feel bad about themselves,
but at the same time, they feel as if they are being scolded.
How about harrassed.
The light that is our righteousness casts light upon their misdeeds,
Being young at one time is a misdeed now?
and it makes them uncomfortable, like walking into a well lit room after being in the dark for a long time.
No, fundies make me uncomforable.
2/22/2009 3:36:42 AM
Dear Soldier For Salvation,
It's not my fault you suck. Maybe you should stop acting like your shit doesn't stink.
2/22/2009 3:40:17 AM
SFS is batshit insane
2/22/2009 3:42:07 AM
I don't do any of those things and I'm an atheist. Go fuck yourself with a rusty razorblade.
2/22/2009 3:47:13 AM
1: what's wrong with going to parties?
2: Anybody got the link to the story about the christian kid who killed the newly engaged couple in a hit and run?
3: I know a christian woman who stole from her coworkers at work.
4: Same woman as above slept with the bosses' son, the lead salesman, several clients and probably her husband occasionally.
4: the pastor of the church I was dragged to as a kid was having affairs with 3 different married women.
So what was this that you christians are casting on us?
2/22/2009 3:50:41 AM
I'm a pagan. I don't do any of the things you mention except for drinking, in my own home, with my husband. I don't steal or cheat and I don't feel bad about myself in the slightest. I think these things you are talking about are projections...you feel badly about yourself and you're projecting it onto other people because you can't deal with it. I'm sorry you have a crappy religion :( But the fact that you try to inflict it on me makes me want to bitchslap you into your next life.
2/22/2009 3:53:54 AM
Why do strippers have crosses on their necklaces?
2/22/2009 4:00:38 AM
No, I see you as self-righteous twats. At least the fundies.
Normal Christians I don't have a problem with. If it works for them then far be it from me to tell them how to live their lives. You fuckwits should extend us the same respect.
2/22/2009 4:01:08 AM
Hobo on the corner
He is a IDIOT we hate you for being a idiot!
2/22/2009 4:12:32 AM
SOMEONE has an awfully high opinion of themselves. Isn't pride one of the seven deadly sins?
For the record, I'm a filthy heathen. I don't party, drink, steal, and I haven't even held hands, let alone That Other Thing.
2/22/2009 4:12:38 AM
I used to have a light of righteousness. Went through batteries like a drunk through a six-pack.
2/22/2009 4:22:34 AM
1 2 3 4 5