Well, Brown is cordially hated by most of the British electorate, so the snub/faux pas from Obama didn't really register.
And while africans were certainly complicit in slavery, the English did a lot to expand the market - mind you they also led the way in stopping it.
4/12/2009 6:25:41 PM
Yes Obama was totally born in Kenya since the American president of course doesn't have to be born in the united states to even be eligible for election.
4/12/2009 9:48:07 PM
Obama also sent back the bust of Winston Churchill that was given to us by the UK as a show of solidarity after 9/11. Why did Obama do this?
1. The bust was on loan from a british museum, Obama simply declined the offer to extend the loan for another four years.
2. While Winston Churchill was a great man in many ways he was also a flagrant racist who utterly despised blacks. If I was in Obama's place I wouldn't want the bust of him around either.
4/13/2009 12:02:25 AM
In some poor bastards mind, this is a convincing argument.
4/13/2009 1:33:55 AM
theamericanmoron - what a dickhead. And, of course, a troll.
4/13/2009 2:16:53 AM
Yeah, all those sea captains from Liverpool and Bristol just stood on the shoreline and refused the offer when the local king had slaves to sell ... which doesn't quite explain how all those Africans got to the Americas.
And there's no real reason Obama should have any special affection for us, nor would I expect him to have. Just so long as he deals with us straight, we don't care whether he likes us or not. About time that 'Special Relationship' bullshit was laid to rest, anyway.
4/13/2009 2:45:34 AM
And none of this has anything to do with whether or not he can fix the economy.
That's how you know we elected the right guy, when his opponents can only come up with petty crap like this.
4/13/2009 3:42:54 AM
my google-fu might be weak but I can't turn up anything on half of these wild accusations.
4/13/2009 6:43:20 AM
I'm sure President Obama has special feelings for mouth-breathing paleocon knuckle-draggers like the ol' merkin cowboy here.
4/13/2009 6:58:33 AM
The Economist news magazine had a short article a while back, about how to change the British electorate. Half-jokingly they said, they would need more rednecks in their country. I suggest they send cowboy over there...It would be a great start.
And as for the Mau Mau uprising- seeing as how it began in 1952 not in the 40s, you are already off to a terrific start. And if Obama's grandaddy was a Mau Mau so the fuck what. Im sure you'd probably stretch the truth and say some relative of yours fought agaisnt the British in 1776 (the American REVOLUTION)...therefore you're the desendant of a revolutionary, and you shouldn't be allowed to be prez either
4/13/2009 1:27:10 PM
Never mind that a) Brown is a huge fan of movies and b) DVDs were a standard gift given by the Bush administration.
However, if you went to Crawford, you received a pair of cowboy boots with your country's flag and the flag of the U.S. on them. Klassy!
I'm not even going to address the idiocy of the "not a citizen" stuff. Even if Obama was born in Kenya (which he wasn't) he would still be a U.S. citizen because his mother was.
4/13/2009 1:36:17 PM
@#939079 Even if his mother was a US citizen, he'd still have to be born inside the US to be president (unless he was born on a military base) ...OMFG why am I perpetuating this fucking BULLSHIT. Sorry
4/13/2009 2:26:31 PM
@DiscoBerry: Nope. Doesn't have to be born on a base. Expats have little citizen children all the time w/o the benefit of army bases. One citizen parent is pretty much what it takes.
Obama was born in 1961, so the relevant legal requirements are as follows:
Between 12/24/1952 and 11/13/1986
If both parents are U.S. citizens, at least one resided in the U.S. before the child’s birth.
If one parent is a U.S. citizen, the U.S. citizen parent must have resided in the U.S. for 10 years, at least 5 of which were after age 14.
Mother was a U.S. citizen and met the residency requirements, so it wouldn't have mattered if he was born in the USSR or on top of Mount Everest -- still a citizen.
4/13/2009 4:37:19 PM
I suddenly feel pwned
4/13/2009 6:03:31 PM
"deep-seated hatred for ... white people" ... Bullshit.
"slavery was a uniquely negro institution" ... No, slavery or at least some form of unfree labor, like serfdom, has existed in pretty much every society large and settled enough to find it useful. It is true, though, that African kingdoms sold slaves to the British.
"not a natural born US citizen" HOW MANY FREAKING TIMES do we have to prove this WRONG?
4/13/2009 10:43:25 PM
While the Africans were in fact selling their own people into slavery, and slavery of Africans by other Africans continues today in Africa (which we almost never hear about), it doesn't in any way excuse the participation of the English, or anyone else.
Oh, and, have you ever seen Obama's beloved grandparents, who partly raised him, and his mother? Yeah....lily white. So much for him hating white people.
4/13/2009 11:52:13 PM
Heh. Anyone remember when conspiracy nutters were claiming Obama was a British citizen?
4/14/2009 2:20:38 AM
Please tell me you're not an Anglophile, theamericancowboy? Being admired by your type will kill off any national pride I have left.
4/14/2009 9:35:09 AM
"The Obamas have a deep-seated hatred for the English and for white people in general." Yeah, it's not like Obama is half-white or something.
4/15/2009 2:38:27 AM
4/15/2009 3:17:41 PM
Obama was born IN HAWAII. If I remember well, his mother was pregnant at the moment she got married and she met Obama Sr IN THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII. Complicated stuff to give birth there, isn´t it?. And by the way, his father didn´t raise him, so?
4/20/2009 2:20:36 AM
1. The english were to blame for slavery. On the basis of they encouraged the slave trade at the time. Slavery is NOT a uniquely negro institution on the basis of people totally kept slaves until very recently in europe. Such as your "vaunted civilisations of Rome and Greece".
2. I am british its not a snub. We actually think its pretty thoughtful to give someone a gift that is useful. And I must point out BRITISH anti slavery ships pillaged AMERICAN slave ships. British Anti Slavery ships are called PIRATE SHIPS.
3. Obama replaced the bust of Winston Churchill with Lincoln's... He had to give it back because its not his. Its on loan. It was "loaned" to the white house since it is an expensive piece of art. Also Obama's grandfather was tortured by Churchill's forces. Its like sending a bust of Churchill to Rabindranath Tagore who rejected his knighthood and his nobel prize because of Churchill's forced starvation of Indians. So yeah. I can see why he is pissed off. Churchill is not "great".
4. British royalty mean dick. Look guy, I am british. We keep them around so that muppets like you wave little flags and pay us money to see their stuff. If they did not earn us money they would be out on the street having to earn a real wage and pay real taxes. If it were not for the fact people want to meet them, we would happily make them peel potatoes and do circus tricks to earn their keep.
4/20/2009 5:25:05 PM
What about the white Islamic leaders?
4/22/2009 1:15:04 PM
Us UK people really are paranoid about the "Special Relationship" aren't we?
"Obama's grandfather faught in the brutal Mau Mau uprising in the 1940s, and was imprisoned by British forces under the command of Winston Churchill."
Dunno if this is true, but I feel obligated to mention the horrible atrocities carried out by the Brits against the Kenyan people. It shouldn't be buried or forgotten.
5/29/2012 11:35:01 AM