Home Archives Random Quotes Latest Comments Top 100 Submit Quote Search Log In

Quote# 85801

(A poster asks why Yiddish is listed in his dictionary as an Indo-European Germanic language spoken in Europe, but not Hebrew.)

We actually know exactly why there is no mention of Hebrew. It’s the same reason why you will find little or no mention in classroom history books of the role that churches played in the American Revolution or the fervent Christianity of most of the Founding Fathers. It is the same reason that the Capitol Visitor Center initially said that “E Pluribus Unum” was our national motto when it is actually “In God we Trust.” We could give you example after example of similar selective omissions or misrepresentations that all share one common feature: Aggressive secularism and the flagrant attempt to undermine Judeo-Christian Biblical faith and obscure its vital role in the emergence of western civilization in general and and American civilization in particular.

[...]

The agenda was transparently clear. Academia has become staunchly anti-God and anything which suggests that Judaism and/or Christianity contributed to the world’s advancement or that there is validity to Biblical accounts is a threat to that position. Ideology trumps honest research and discourse whether in discussions of evolution or language.

Rabbi Daniel Lapin and Susan Lapin, RabbiDanielLapin.com 49 Comments [1/28/2012 9:35:33 AM]
Fundie Index: 57
Submitted By: Wykked Wytch
WTF?! || meh
Username:
Comment:



1 2
Giardano Bruno

Yiddish is originally from Rhineland German, as is Letzebuergisch (the language of Luxembourg). I was amazed to see a Christmas poster in Lux that said "Wir wunsch die eppes schein" (we wish you something wonderful) because it is very different from standard German, but exactly the same as Yiddish.

Hebrew is a Semitic language. Very close to Arabic, but nothing like German.

1/28/2012 1:43:36 PM



UH!? The answer to the question is that Yiddish is in fact a Indo-European language very similar to German. however Hebrew is a Semitic language related to Arabic, Coptic, Aramaic and Ghez in Ethiopia, therefore of course Hebrew would NOT be listed as an Indo-European language.

I would expect a Rabbi to know this rather basic fact.

1/28/2012 1:59:12 PM

Anon-e-moose

If Rabbi(t) Lapin here would like to discuss this with me, whilst we silflay over this issue, he'd realise that, as far as Lord Frith and El-Ahrairah are concerned, he's talking a load of hraka.

Hey Danny-boy, ever hear of Esperanto. Or Klingon? And apparently, languages were invented specifically for the anime series "Macross" (Zentraedi) and "Banner/Crest of the Stars" (Abh).

Kinda fucks up your argument, wouldn't you say...?

1/28/2012 2:08:43 PM

D Laurier

Or maybe...
...
... because hebrew is not an Indo-European Germanic language spoken in Europe.

1/28/2012 2:10:14 PM

WWWWolf

> #1369877
> Malitia
> Úgy igaz, szép nyelv! És többen beszélik mint hinnénk.

Mitäs hivaattia nämä kaunopuheiset madjaarit keskenänsä jutustelevat? Sitä me emme täällä pohjan perukoilla voine pääkivuitta pähkäillä. =)

> #1369939
> Brendan Rizzo
> @ Malitia:
> Isn't Hungarian related to Finnish, or something?

Indeed it is. However, the big similarities are mostly in grammar; as far as vocabulary goes, it's very much diverged. As a Finnish speaker I can almost take a good guess on what Estonian speakers are saying (and be hilariously incorrect, usually), but Hungarian is pretty much incomprehensible. =)

1/28/2012 2:54:33 PM

The Dude Abides

Oh no! There's a conspiracy to cloud the holy name of Quetzalcoatl because Nahuatl isn't listed as an indo European language! I'm offended by this omission.

But back in reality, why do we don't we just open our dictionary again and look up "afro asiatic languages". There! Problem solved.

Hebrew is semitic which is a branch of afro asiatic.

1/28/2012 4:00:47 PM

Reynardine

To Malitia, Wwolf, Brendan, etc: Hungarian and Finnish both belong to the Finno-Ugrian group, but Finnish belongs to the Finnic branch with Karelian, Esthonian, and several others. The only certified surviving members of the Ugrian branch are Hungarian and Vogul, the latter a relict language from the east slope of the Urals and threatened with extinction. Beween it and Hungarian, there is some shared vocabulary, but they are no longer mutually intelligible.

The Finno-Ugrian languages may share a more distant relationship with the Altaic languages, but that is less sure.

1/28/2012 5:44:44 PM

Agahnim

Wait, what? Hebrew is a Semitic language which isn't an Indo-European language. Yiddish is a West Germanic language like English and German; it just happens to use the Hebrew alphabet for writing.

1/28/2012 6:01:36 PM

John

German Yiddish is "Gerbrew" (like "Spanglish"). It's a Germanic language spoken by German-speaking Jews, liberally sprinkled with Hebrew words and phrases. Even the word "Yiddish" is German. It's an anglicized pronunciation of "Jüdisch", the German word for "Jewish".

1/28/2012 8:12:42 PM

Philbert McAdamia

Lapin
_____

Rabbi
Rabid
Rabbit


Coincidence?

______

We could give you example after example of similar selective omissions or misrepresentations that all share one common feature:

Hmmmmm.

1/28/2012 9:28:46 PM

Papabear

Never mind that "E Pluribus Unum" is a much better motto than "In God We Trust." It's a true expression of our country, not a lie based upon bigotry and clouded, wishful thinking.

1/28/2012 10:15:52 PM

tranz2deep

Hebrew is not Germanic, that's why it is not listed as Germanic.

Yiddish is another tongue altogether.

1/28/2012 10:48:32 PM

Malitia

Brendan Rizzo:

"Isn't Hungarian related to Finnish, or something?"

Others already answered but: Yeah it's related to Finnish. My favorite (not perfect) comparison is that Hungarian and Finnish are related as English and Russian are. They share the language family (Finno-Ugrian / Indo-European) but not much else.

1/28/2012 11:46:31 PM

Raised by Horses

"Academia has become staunchly anti-God"

"Has become?" When was it ever not anti-superstition?

1/29/2012 1:44:39 AM

louislois

Hebrew is a Semitic language you dolt.

1/29/2012 5:12:47 AM

aaa

Thanks for the irrelevant rant. Also, Hebrew is a semitic language and that is why it hasn't been mentioned in a list about indo-european languages. Please, do your research.

1/29/2012 5:33:51 AM

atheist

Apart from becoming a binding glue for tribalist values, I cannot for the life of me think of one positive contribution that religion has made to the world's advancement since. Religion is and has been the leading cause of disharmony in human history.

"Ideology trumps honest research and discourse" sums up my argument.

1/29/2012 5:40:42 AM

Doubting Thomas

"E Pluribus Unum" used to be our national motto until the Christian nationalists changed it to "In God we trust" back in the 50's.

1/29/2012 9:55:12 AM



No, actually the reason is because Yiddish is, essentially, a dialect of Medieval High German spoken by Central- and Eastern-European Jews, whereas Hebrew is a Semitic language (NOT INDO-EUROPEAN) originating in the Middle-East.

I know, I know. It must be unbearable to think of your precious religion being started in the Middle-East by dirty sand-niggers, but them's the breaks, brah.

Also, your rant was a bit long, and hard to follow.

1/29/2012 12:25:53 PM

Mister Spak

" It’s the same reason why you will find little or no mention in classroom history books of the role that churches played in the American Revolution or the fervent Christianity of most of the Founding Fathers. It is the same reason that the Capitol Visitor Center initially said that “E Pluribus Unum” was our national motto when it is actually “In God we Trust.”

The reason is it's not true.
And if you want to go on about in god we trust, that god is Jesus, not your jewish god. Perhaps you should reconsider supporting the American Taliban.

1/30/2012 6:41:40 AM



I don't think this guy's actually Jewish, much less a Rabbi. I'm gonna call nonsense.

I think I've seen this kind of thing before, actually. That is to say, fundie Christians claiming to be Jews despite being completely clueless about even the basics of Judaism. He probably knows nothing about Judaism except that Jesus was Jewish and that his pastor told him that he has to like Jews now.

It's... unpleasant, stupid, and far too common.
PROTIP: Being Christian =\= Being Jewish. That is ridiculous moon logic.

1/30/2012 8:31:47 AM

Anon

"It’s the same reason why you will find little or no mention in classroom history books of the role that churches played in the American Revolution or the fervent Christianity of most of the Founding Fathers."
Umm, it's not in the history books because it didn't happen.

1/30/2012 12:13:13 PM



Let me see, you not only don't have a diploma on linguistics, you only speak English, am I right?

2/4/2012 5:22:58 AM

Anon-e-moose

If Daniel Lapin is a 'Rabbi', then Lord Sacks is the Archbishop of Canterbury. [/hyper-sarcasm]

2/4/2012 11:31:14 AM
1 2