Here are 10 reasons I believe Christian students in particular and possibly even teachers and staff should refuse to honor [the Day of Silence] by school attendance:
1. A silent protest in support of immoral, God-dishonoring behavior is in itself profoundly deceptive. All sexual behavior outside man/woman marriage is sinful in God’s eyes. Why should Christian students and teachers be in the position of accommodating this flagrant violation of their principles?
2. Any explicit or implicit message encouraging teens and even younger students to experiment freely with homosexual behavior is not “social justice” or “tolerance,” but actually, child corruption.
3. Allowing classroom silence to honor the Day of Silence unleashes tremendous peer pressure for students and even teachers to endorse sexual immorality, or be considered “enemies” of those peers and teachers proudly involved in homosexuality. This puts people of faith in the position of violating Christian doctrine through tacit approval (Romans 16:17-18; Ephesians 5:11). They are also intimidated into self-censoring their First Amendment rights.
4. The Day of Silence encourages students to nurture prejudiced, hostile and bigoted attitudes against Christians and others with traditional moral beliefs, and to spread inaccurate and harmful information.
5. Using legitimate concerns about bullying and teen suicide to advance the promotion of homosexuality in schools is educational malpractice. It’s totally unnecessary to stop bullying and prevent harm to students, and Christians should not be a party to this gross distortion of a genuine problem. No one needs to embrace homosexuality or gender confusion in order to prevent bullying, but GLSEN routinely takes this deceitful position.
6. Teachers know harassment when they see it. They can simply say, “Cut it out!” But GLSEN and the Day of Silence pressure teachers to amend this to, “Cut it out, because you are only permitted to say good things about homosexuality!” When did we all sign up to become public-relations agents for the good reputation of homosexuality? This viewpoint discrimination forces an untruthful and ungodly agenda on staff members, when stopping verbal harassment can be accomplished without becoming champions of “gay” behavior.
7. There are legitimate lessons students should learn about prejudice and bias. But Day of Silence promoters deceptively link moral objections about homosexuality to racial discrimination or anti-Semitism in an attempt to legitimize the pro-homosexual agenda and portray homosexuals as perennial victims, while disguising the harmfulness and risk.
8. Teachers have used the DOS to inappropriately become classroom advocates and models of this deviant behavior. In one Ohio school, a teacher used a PowerPoint presentation to tell students about her “gay” support and even disclosed to students that she was a lesbian, without prior notice to parents or permission from her principal.
9. The health and lifestyle risks of homosexuality are virtually never shared on the Day of Silence. Instead, students are given the deceitful impression that homosexuality is just as safe and worthy an identity as heterosexual dating and marriage.
10. The DOS message inhibits Christians from witnessing to their peers caught up in homosexuality or gender confusion. There is salvation through Jesus Christ and the hope of leaving this sin behind. Calling homosexuality a sin on the Day of Silence would be considered “hateful,” when it is actually God-honoring and respectful to the hearer. It may lead them to an eternal home with God. But that won’t happen if the truth is suppressed, which it always is on the Day of Silence. Stay home that day, and choose to witness on another, where perhaps you will have a fair chance of being heard.
Linda Harvey, World Net Daily 63 Comments
[4/11/2012 3:04:25 AM]
Fundie Index: 65
Submitted By: Zagen30
1 2 3
There was a person like this on the Escapist forums the other day. The attitude is spreading.
4/11/2012 3:22:36 AM
More pearls of wisdom from Whirled Nut Daily.
For those who need a tl,dr:
Waaaah! I'm being persecuted because you're not letting me persecute others!
And WTF is up with the teacher needing permission to say she's gay?
4/11/2012 3:41:15 AM
With enough Christians, with enough typewriters, and you'd still get this shit.
4/11/2012 4:11:26 AM
Filin De Blanc
"They are also intimidated into self-censoring their First Amendment rights"
How the hell can someone voluntarily choosing not to say something constitute a first amendment violation?
4/11/2012 4:13:08 AM
I do not know what the Day of Silence is, but DARVO, fucking DARVO, when the fuck will it end?
4/11/2012 4:19:29 AM
Voice of Humanity
"When did we all sign up to become public-relations agents for the good reputation of homosexuality?"
- I pledge allegiance to my flag and the republic for which it stands, one nation, INDIVISIBLE, with LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL. ~ Pledge of Allegiance 1892
Leave the United States if you don't believe yourself beholden to the oaths you have taken.
4/11/2012 4:21:20 AM
The Flying Spaghetti Monster finds all blondes unacceptable! Why should we tolerate their sinful behavior?! By not dyeing their hair they are cramming their sick immorality down our throats! Allowing blondes into schools will teach our children that it is acceptable and natural to be blonde! Having a show of support for blondes violates our freedom to be bigoted assholes! We won't stand for this!
4/11/2012 4:24:51 AM
Fuck you and the high horse you rode in on. There is so much fail and stupidity here it is literally painful to read, and your utter failure to understand anything, anywhere, would be hysterical if there weren't so many people who think exactly like you, and in positions of power as well. If your God does exist, then the moment you die you are going straight to hell for being a hate-filled, abusive bastard.
4/11/2012 4:36:25 AM
The DOS message inhibits Christians from witnessing to their peers caught up in homosexuality or gender confusion.
And here we have the true crux of their argument: Christians find it harder to nag and annoy people into their ways if their targets are well informed and are thinking for themselves.
Because, ya know, telling Kirk Cameron to sit down and shut up because we're sick of hearing him prattle on about America's Christian heritage is infringing upon his rights to worship his god as he sees fit. Uh huh.
4/11/2012 4:43:44 AM
Why do all fundies seem to have Gays in the brain...?
Is that all they ever think about?
4/11/2012 5:07:36 AM
*shrug* So stay home. Nobody's forcing you to participate.
4/11/2012 5:16:22 AM
Here are 10 reasons your post is a pile of fail:
1. Why would muslim teachers and students be in the immoral position of accomodating your false god? It's a flagrant violation of their principals.
2. Any explicit or implicit message encouraging teens and even younger students to experiment freely with infidel superstition is not “social justice” or “tolerance,” but actually, child corruption.
3. Christian doctrine should be violated by people of faith because christianity is a false religion.
4. WAAAA WAAAAA they're throwing my own shit back at me WAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
5. Fundiebabble to English translator engaged: It's OK to oppose bullying but we have to be able to beat up homos because they're icky.
6. Teachers know harassment when they see it. They can simply say, “Cut it out!” But they don't because they know fundies will have them fired for promoting homosexuality. Because that's what you're doing when you don't beat up homos.
7. Fundies deceptively claim that their fathers hatred of niggers because god said so is nothing like their hatred of homos because god said so.
8. She also said she had a nigger great grandparent, also without prior notice to parents or permission from her principal.
.9. Damn right. Homos are in constant danger of being beaten up by good moral christians. It's the only way to make them choose to be normal.
10. Except Islam is the real religion and all you infidels are going to hell. You can wave your bible around all you like but when you stand before the throne of Allah in judgement you will have nowhere to hide. All knees will bend and all tongues will confess that Allah is god.
4/11/2012 5:56:31 AM
Ya know, you could have gone with simply, "1. GAY IS ICKY!!!!!" and made the same point.
4/11/2012 5:59:15 AM
And here are the top reasons why students, staff and teachers of all stripes should respect the Day of Silence:
1. Increasing the recognition that gay people are human beings will save lives.
That's pretty much it.
Now let's see, saving human lives versus everything Harvey said...I win!
4/11/2012 6:22:37 AM
Shut the fuck up. I've had it with you fundies and your irrational hatred of gays, who did absolutely NOTHING to you to deserve the kind of treatment that they're getting. So schools want a day of silence to think about all of the gays that have been bullied, abused, and killed which is the least that can be done for all of the suffering that your kind has caused and you don't want even THAT. If it were up to you there'd be a Day of Cheering every time a gay person is killed. Fundies like you have given away your humanity and all for a book written by ignorant shepherds from the middle east.
4/11/2012 6:24:38 AM
This straight person participated in his school's Day of Silence, and didn't see any persecution of Christians or any of the other nonsense you're spouting.
" It’s totally unnecessary to stop bullying and prevent harm to students"
Oh, screw you.
4/11/2012 7:11:48 AM
Without modern medicine, as many as 60,000 American women could die each year from pregnancies. (extopic pregancies, diabetes, etc., etc.) Why are student not taught about the deadly risks of heterosexuality?
4/11/2012 8:48:22 AM
Filin De Blanc
In terms of STD risk the safest kind of sex to have is lesbian, so I guess that means that we should teach girl-on-girl as God's ideal.
4/11/2012 8:57:55 AM
I word I rarely use but...stupid cunt.
4/11/2012 9:07:27 AM
4/11/2012 9:09:19 AM
You don't have to participate. I chose to. I was not made to. My teachers and peers understood and were very respectful about it. You can still do as you please as long as you aren't hurting others
4/11/2012 9:32:02 AM
Go ahead and ignore it if you want. It will only confirm that you fundies are a major part of the problem and will always stand in the way of an effective solution.
One of these days, our elected officials will grow a backbone and enact laws that don't have exceptions for the religiously deluded.
4/11/2012 9:40:18 AM
Yes, because bullies always completely desist from bullying behaviour when the teacher says "Knock it off!"
I wonder if the sky's a different colour in your world, Linda.
4/11/2012 10:07:49 AM
Homosexuality was extremely common in Jesus' time, yet he said nothing at all about it. Yet he did have quite a bit to say about love, forgiveness, and casting the first stone. So much for your argument about ostracizing (by which you really mean hating on) the gays being "God-honoring" behavior.
4/11/2012 10:15:31 AM
Substitute "left-handed" or "blue-eyed" for "gay" or "homosexual" throughout your entire rant. See how stupid you sound, condemning people for something they were born with?
That's how you sound to the sane portion of society when you talk about gays.
4/11/2012 10:23:31 AM
1 2 3