1 2 3
The incomprehensible timescale is perfectly comprehensible when looking at species with short lifespans and many generations in a few years.
1. Evolution is only about adaptation of already existing life, NOT about the beginning. As a geneticists you ought to know that. (Or have you only studied genetics to see how you can have pretty kids, and how to get your ginger cat to have blue kids?)
2. Earth is only unique in this solar system. In other galaxies there are probably similar planets with some kind of life on them.
3. The diversity is very much due to evolution, though.
4. Humans are also capable of very selfish love, of egoism and megalomania. Very few animals are egoists, they act in order to spread their genes and keep their offspring alive, at the risk of their own life.
Who created him/her/them/it? Why do you need answer to "why are we here?" twice?
We don't get answers to the questions "who created God?" and "why is he here?", stupid.
5/24/2012 10:15:51 PM
I have trouble believing anyone who says: I studied genetics and then says, the diversity of the "living" on earth. Anyone with even a basic education in high school biology can do better.
As for that morality and unselfish love we apparently have that is unique, Well unselfish love does not exist. Live with it, as for morality and empathy and love, I have seen it plenty of times in a wide verity of animals. We are not unique, or particularly special. We are just apes with bigger brains and tool using hands.
5/24/2012 11:30:51 PM
You can't believe in "Nothing to something?" Google "Casimir Effect". You can demonstrate the "Nothing to something" of virtual particles for yourself anytime you want.
5/25/2012 12:39:04 AM
I do find it rather amusing when a Theist uses the term 'fairy tale'
...Dammit. Look at all the damage to my irony meter.
5/25/2012 1:41:59 AM
This pile of superstitious toilet paper had the effrontery to comment at Scientific American??... And they printed her! O tempora, O mores!
5/25/2012 3:26:29 AM
I don't understand is where you should have stopped. Appending 'therefore god' on to the end of that displays your stupidity. Not to mention the straw men in your post.
5/25/2012 3:45:43 AM
> 2. a planet which is absolutely unique,
As I understood, this planet is pretty average. And, frankly, it's better that way.
I like to believe that there are other planets out there with just as many wonders to discover. We've barely gotten started in understanding what this planet of ours has to offer.
Can't wait to see what we'll find on other planets.
Can't even begin to guess what's on the planets we'll never see.
We're incredible, that's true. The problem with this idea of "uniqueness" you're presenting is that there's probably places out there that are just as incredible - just in a completely different way. In short, this idea of "uniqueness" is subjective and short-sighted.
5/25/2012 4:41:19 AM
1. 'Something from nothing' is nothing to do with Evolution, more to do with physics or cosmology, but of course you already knew that because of your study of genetics, right?
2. Every planet is absolutely unique. But even if that was not the case, how do you know the Earth is unique? The scale of the Universe is simply incomprehensible. The number of planets that we know anything at all about amounts to less than one grain of sand in comparison with all the sand on Earth.
3. Evolution explains diversity very well. That's ALL it does, in fact.
4. For one I would disagree that there can be such a thing as unselfish love, but that's a different debate. How do you know that other animals don't have morality? Can you speak with them and understand how their societies work? Apes, Cats, Dogs, Elephants and Dolphins all stay with injured or dead compatriots to protect them from predators. Swans and Elephants visibly mourn their dead mates. Not quite as complex as human morality, granted, but that still suggests that we aren't the special little snowflakes you seem to believe.
But yes, in the face of all this complexity and wonder I can understand why you might want to take your ancestor's favourite cop-out over actually applying your mind.
5/25/2012 4:45:21 AM
There is more evidence for evolution than there is for gravity. You lose.
5/25/2012 5:01:16 AM
There is one acceptable answer for all this and that is that everything was created by the Almighty God.
The One True God who we are able to get to know from the Hebrew Bible.
Even if life requires a god, the Hebrew god is far from the only option. There are all the Pagan gods, the Hindu god, Buddhist gods (under some forms of Buddhism), and of course the Deist god who doesn't go snooping into people's bedrooms. Personally, I find the last one to be the most likely as I find it difficult to believe that an all-powerful entity would require praise or care what sex position you use or who you're boning.
5/25/2012 5:49:34 AM
I studied genetics myself
I'm guessing you failed?
I can not buy that evolution can work.
It is working right now. In Africa, many bull elephants are being born without tusks, primarily because poachers have killed so many bull elephants with large tusks while not killing the ones without. Therefore, this random mutation allowed the tuskless elephants to survive and reproduce, producing offspring without tusks. If poachers keep killing the tusked elephants, we may see a future of tuskless elephants.
If you think about it yourself you must admit that it is impossible 1. from nothing to something
So you're saying that the Genesis creation myth is impossible then?
The One True God who we are able to get to know from the Hebrew Bible.
What was it you were saying about impossible fairy tales?
5/25/2012 6:03:59 AM
If you did, you didn't understand word 1 of it.
Watch Dawkins' christmas lecture. Even those kids know more than you.
5/25/2012 6:21:15 AM
You didn't study genetics. You are lying.
5/25/2012 7:24:56 AM
Well let's be fair. Shema claims to have studied genetics. He/she doesn't say anything about passing.
5/25/2012 7:43:35 AM
"I studied genetics myself..."
I smell the stench of burning pants.
5/25/2012 7:47:46 AM
Well, I agree on one thing. It *is* extremely improbable that this planet is unique.
5/25/2012 8:09:25 AM
The Almighty God ?
Why not Zeus, Odin or Horus ?
Why not the FSM or the Invisible Pink Unicorn ?
Why not Zoidberg ?
5/25/2012 8:10:31 AM
Lying is quite a sin, despite what your preacher said.
5/25/2012 8:20:43 AM
You never studied genetics.
Evolution, specifically beneficial mutations, have been observed in the lab and in the field.
Studeis of higher primates, such as bonobos, have shown they have a moral code and are capable of empathy and affection.
Your arguments are the same rehashed god-bot nonsense that have been debunnked a thousand times over. Read the memo already.
5/25/2012 9:09:19 AM
Anyone who studied genetics should have also had the general education requirement that is English, and thus you'd be able to form a complete sentence.
In truth, you're most likely a trailer-park resident who took a break from the Walmartian Tango in order to post on that unnatural computer thingy.
Perhaps you should study a bit more since you seem to not understand the very basics, because I'm not sure what ass you pulled "nothing to something" from. There was always "something" i.e. Matter is neither created or destroyed; it just always has been.
5/25/2012 10:56:15 AM
just because you cannot comprehend genetics - or any field of science for that matter - does not mean it's not correct, or at least worthy of further explorations.
Of course "god did it" is always the easiest answer and does not require any usage of bain tissue.
5/25/2012 12:33:51 PM
To put it bluntly, I don't know how new features appear (like how legs would evolve, for example). But that's because I'm not a biologist. I love the fundie mentality of "If I don't know, nobody does!"
5/25/2012 12:52:20 PM
"Matter is neither created or destroyed; it just always has been."
That doesn't really make any sense. Why does anything exist at all? I think talking about the nature of existence just leads to one big "I dunno lol," no matter what your philosophy is.
5/25/2012 12:54:00 PM
So it all boils down to simple fear of death.
This whole cult is about avoiding death by kissing ass to a magical sky bully, in exchange for "eternal life".
5/25/2012 1:29:39 PM
By 'studied genetics' I'm guessing they skimmed a wiki article or got the run-down from a theologian.
5/25/2012 6:31:20 PM
1 2 3