" The logical conclusion of radical economic individualism and social darwinism (not expressed by this guy, who isn't quite brave enough to say it) is that the old and weak will perish, and that this is a good thing. "
Except this is what liberal evolutionists want, because only the strong are allowed to survive. He's embarased because he supports Darwinism.
10/24/2012 11:09:44 AM
Reminds me of History of the World. "Fuck the poor!" But far less funny. Since when is helping others evil?
10/24/2012 11:31:53 AM
"Seniors, we are told, are fearful of hunger and the government must expand its efforts to meet this psychologial need."
...wait, food is a "psychological" need? Yeah, that's also what this one delusional "breatharian" lady on TV said and tried to "prove" by starving herself on camera. She had to be hospitalized and force-fed after she lost consciousness because of extreme starvation and malnutrition. She blamed this on "bad vibes" in the air.
You may not be a "breatharian," but you're just as dumb and divorced from reality as one if you seriously think that food insecurity and malnutrition are not real problems in our country, and you're an incredibly horrible person if you believe that society doesn't have a responsibility to minimize or, if possible, eliminate hunger and malnutrition and ensure that all of everyone's other basic needs of survival are met.
10/24/2012 12:52:13 PM
Ah, that Christian love that regards helping people as being a commie.
10/24/2012 12:55:33 PM
1. Are they whinging about Meals on Wheels now?
2. VioletBeauregarde: /Thank You./ BMI is garbage science.
3. Martha Jones, *excellent* point.
4. Sasha, I am very sorry about your grandmother.
5. All who have volunteered with Meals on Wheels: You are part of what is *right* with the world.
6. To quote Charles Dickens: "Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?" I am starting to seriously think that everyone on FSTDT who has said these idiots are "proudly marching into the 19th century" are right.
10/24/2012 1:17:23 PM
I can't wait for the day these Republicans get old and poor and starving and begin to whine "WHY AREN'T YOU HELPING ME, GOVERNMENT?" Maybe they will be lucky and contract Alzheimer's and be placed in a nursing home being spoon fed puree meals by a nurse. Where are your Reaganomics now, GOP?
10/24/2012 2:05:59 PM
If you want a puppy kicked, Mister Cooper is the man to see.
10/24/2012 2:45:47 PM
1) No matter how expensive and nice looking your fridge is, that doesn't stop it from being empty.
2) You're citing a prepared commercial as a realistic interpretation of how retirees live. That's stupid before you even factor in the "Hollywood Poor" Trope.
3) If you're a blue-collar retiree living on a fixed income - especially in the States - the chances of that nice fridge being frequently empty are much higher than normal.
4) Ever been to a fully staffed retirement home? Ever wonder what those candy stripers do all day and why? Time isn't always kind, and it robs some seniors of the ability to use so much as a can opener due to arthritis, muscle and bone degeneration. Senility and dementia can make people forget to feed themselves. Total isolation sets in making things worse. Meals on Wheels (a charity not connected to the government, I might add) may well be the only regular human contact some of these people have.
5) You know that old stereotype about old folks constantly waiting for a phone call from their kids and grandkids that never comes? That one actually exists for a reason. Those kids grow and have lives and jobs of their own. They can't drop everything and just take care of their parents without it having a major impact on everything in their lives. This I know from experience. If those kids are cunts that treat the world around them and the people in it as a burden it's even less likely they'll be any help.
10/24/2012 3:18:26 PM
I spent months, this year, wondering if I'd make it whenever I walked somewhere. It was just a tendinitis, but it was enough to make my leg completely unreliable.
Sometimes, I wish those people had an injury like that. Nothing permanent, just enough to show them what it feels like when you can't rely on your own body.
But then, it healing after a few months would probably just convince them that they beat it by the power of their will and that anybody else would if they weren't so lazy... XP
Also, I bet if they showed a half senile old widow's unkempt house instead of a nice set, he wouldn't have any more sympathy.
10/24/2012 4:51:22 PM
I see no reason that seniors living alone should be turned out of the homes they've spent 30 years paying for, that they hope to pass on to their kids, just because their income has dwindled to a trickle.
10/24/2012 5:22:46 PM
@UHM: We've been there for a number of years now--they're just now getting brave enough to start saying just that openly. It's the end of a very, very long fuse.
Modern conservatism has basically taken the stance that every last individual in the country--in the world, really--is an island unto themselves, and the freedom of other people is basically the right to swing at someone else's face without restriction (if they didn't want to get hit, they should have gotten out of the way). Things like hunger, poverty and a lack of basic medical care are strictly problems of the people directly affected by them, and no one else. It's not their problem, never was, and they're damned if they're going to lift a finger to help someone who isn't immediate family or a close personal friend, nor is it the government's responsibility to do anything about it, either. You sink or swim on your own--and if someone stronger than you decides to shove your head underwater or just kicks your ass off the boat and won't let you climb back on, tough shit--try to drown more quietly, you're disturbing the captain's beauty sleep.
10/24/2012 6:42:42 PM
Young conservative: Meals on Wheels? Support for the elderly? Get that communist shit out of my God given country!
Young conservative 70 years later: I'm sick, hungry, and dying and no one wants to take care of me.
10/24/2012 10:13:32 PM
Hunger is a psychological need, eh?
Just goes to show that mistreating the body is a-ok. After all, we get new ones in heaven.
10/25/2012 2:56:50 AM
This guy lets his civs starve to teach them a lesson.
10/25/2012 3:14:16 AM
They are really arguing against Meals on Wheels now? How low can you sink?
My family is thankfully large enough that we could care for my grandmother (almost completely) ourselves and in her own house until her death. But even with such a large family (she had 10 children and 20 grandchildren, most with their own families) to share that work it was hard on everyone.
I know that when I will get in the same situation in a few decades I will not have that luxury and I am thankful that I am living in a society that will take care of me (if not some politicians sabotage the system until then).
Just how low has your empathy to be if you cannot put yourself in such a situation?
” With elderly parents facing this threat of instant death by starvation, their neighbors and kids are nowhere to be found.”
And if someone would have to quit their job to care for their parents you would be the first to demand to cancel them welfare etc., wouldn’t you? Because “Fuck you, I got mine!” works so good as guiding rule for a society…
10/25/2012 4:26:47 AM
I have a five-dollar refrigerator, 19"x19" and bought at a garage sale, sitting on my kitchen counter. I'm basically pretty able-bodied, but a recent flair-up of an old injury to my left leg, has brought home what it would be like if ever I'm not. And I devoutly hope this guy dies hungry.
10/25/2012 6:48:21 AM
The real tyrants are Corporate warmongers.
10/25/2012 11:14:46 AM
"It falls to government to save them.
And thus the power of the Federal beast is and must be increased. To ensure that our obese and lazy society is taught to sit and beg for food. Like domesticated dogs.
Thus the evolution of mankind unto perfection. Under government supervison."
...Master(bator)Cooper typed away into CivFanatics Forums, arse slowly merging with that swivel chair, reaching for more pizza - then realising the box was empty - then picking up the phone to order more (with extra garlic bread) to be delivered, whilst waiting for his next welfare cheque.
(Click on the quote link. Almost everyone else on that forum tears him a new one, argumentally)
Oh, and 'Meals on Wheels'? Like our NHS, is part & parcel of our British social structure. Just remember that MC, when you're in your dotage - and alone.
And anyway: what the fuck is a fundie - who has John 3:16 as his siggy - doing on a forum related to Sid Meier's "Civilisation": effectively a God-sim game?!
10/25/2012 12:45:07 PM
@moekosowl29, thank you. My uncle and his wife (both working) did what they could, and my mother flew out for a month to handle the paperwork and the doctors, but it would have been impossible without Meals-on-Wheels. Those people were wonderful, the best example of Christians you could hope to meet.
But I still hope that MisterCooper dies of cerebral hemorrhoids.
10/25/2012 7:10:45 PM
Feed the poor...............unless you live in the "Christian" America.
10/28/2012 10:42:48 AM
@ Sasha: I'm sorry about your grandmother...:(
@ Martha Jones: I understand and I'm sorry that your brother has troubles.
@ OP: This is just disgusting! Grow some empathy!
11/8/2012 2:14:20 PM